Web hosting is a vast subject, and we have covered many areas of the topic over the past year. Here are a few tips to help you keep your server in the best web hosting shape possible.
1. Keep backups of all data, both account storage and databases. If possible, keep the backups on a remote server and schedule regular incremental updates
2. Update the kernel and other software regularly.
3. Use a script installation service to help users install web applications
4. Provide a web-based control panel to help users manage their sites
5. Enforce strong passwords and encourage users to update their passwords regularly
6. Use a monitoring service for the web server, mail server, database server, and any other critical services
7. Maximize disk and memory usage only to the point of ideal performance and do not over exert the server
8. Always announce any changes, updates, reboots, or maintenance, giving users plenty of time adjust.
Photo Source: Wikimedia Commons