Hosting a website for the first time can be both exciting and daunting. The best course of action is to try it first on a test site and then move to a production environment once you are more comfortable. Here are some quick easy steps to getting started.
1. Decide what type of hosting you will need: virtual hosting, virtual private server, or dedicated server.
2. Register a domain name.
3. Find a web hosting provider. (sometimes the same as the domain registrar).
4. Decide what type of site you want: static or dynamic.
5. Design your site or hire someone to design it.
6. Setup user accounts, email addresses, forwards, subdomains, and any other backend features.
7. Install any necessary content management systems or other scripts.
8. Upload your site design.
9. Test and then test again.
10. Go live.
This is only a brief introduction, but it should be enough to give you an idea of the steps you need to take. Follow the links provided for more information about each topic, and good luck.